Friday, January 29

And So It Goes

This is my first post for quite some time, mainly because of a glitch in the system that wouldn't allow me to post. After several months, I gave up and concentrated on other things. The mind however kept thinking and I gave my attention to other organisations that were active in the field. But now I see it is working and here we go..........


After the Copenhagen failure, I for one have had a very strong feeling of despondency. And yet really why should I be surprised or disappointed at the outcome? Surely any one could have predicted it? But pretty much every environmental group I have been involved with was really pumping up the optimism. There were cynics, sure, but I didn't really notice them because I was so very hopeful.

It seems now as if what we (I) have to do is accept that either things aren't actually going to be all that bad or that YES they are, but there is sweet FA we will do about it so just get on with life and hang the rest. And So it Goes: we are going to hell in a hand basket.

So, in my growing sense of failure, not personal, ( although the responses to this blog suggest that it should be because no one has responded :-o ) but in the whole of the Climate Change movement, I have found the slow retreating into the shell or the burying of my head in the sand to be one way of dealing with it. I can imagine there might be many others like me who have more or less had the wind completely taken out of their sails.

But this is not a permanent change, I'm sure. Perhaps a re-assessment. And the first act of re-assessing is to look at what the potential of Climate Change actually means to me now.
On a day a couple of weeks ago when it was forty two degrees I wondered what the potential extra two or four degrees if the predictions are right, would be like?

I've thought, 'OK, so it will get hot and we will find ways of adapting. We will survive. Great. It doesn't matter what we do, we will basically be OK, so this Global Warming thing is (well fuck the pacific islands and low lying parts of the planet where most people actually live) the rest of us will be OK.

But is life only about us? What about all the other creatures? What would life be like without them. OK so we haven't grown up with dinosaurs other than their bones and our imaginations and maybe in three hundred years the people alive will see pictures of elephants and gorillas and orangutans and have the same relationship to them that we have with dinosaurs, but I kind of feel that part of what makes life so rich is the knowledge that life IS so rich and diverse. And judging by the predictions most of what we take for granted now, will all be gone.

So where do actors fit in???

More to come.........

No comments: